Team Leader: Richard Bell
The Evangel Missions Ministry is very active locally. We believe that the congregation should move outside the four walls of the church to help others experience the love of God in a meaningful way. We know that the key to change within our community is putting faith in action.
We have established enduring relationships with local ministry and outreach organizations. Some of our community service activities and events include:
- Leading a monthly Homeless Outreach to distribute food and clothing in downtown Washington, DC.
- Feeding the hungry at Martha’s Table. We pitch in wherever we’re needed, preparing sandwiches or serving meals.
- Providing clothing for women and children at House of Ruth. We work closely with the Dorcas Clothing Ministry to provide for parents and children in need.
- Providing assistance at the Christle Lighthouse, a teen pregnancy center. We believe that love is the greatest gift we can give a young mother. We reach out to the teens are Christle Lighthouse to let them know they are not alone as they embark on the journey of motherhood.
- Preparing and distributing baskets for the Thanksgiving Blessing. This is a hearty meal with no detail omitted, including after-dinner mints. When families come to retrieve their baskets, they can also visit the clothing closet.
- Bringing joy at Christmas through The Christmas Blessing. Each year we compile a list of names of those who are in need. The Missions Team then goes on a shopping spree to make a needy child’s dream come true. It is evident that these recipients know that Evangel cares about them when the gifts are received. Their faces say it all!
- Hosting an annual winter coat distribution.
The Missions Team faithfully follows the commands of God. We’re reaching out to show love our neighbors; we’re producing, preparing, and empowering disciples; and, we’re starting at home.